Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you will find the info about our adventures fun and useful! This page is meant to be an overview of fun things within Utah that we have actually tried. I try to include links to websites for each place if possible and I include any information I think is relevant. Hopefully this will give you some fun ideas of places to go and things to see in Utah. Feel free to use the list on the left to narrow your search by category. I update my blog regularly with new adventures and ideas for fun, so check back often!

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Jakers Jack-O-Lanterns

It's finally Fall! I have been waiting for Fall since Fall ended last year, and now it's finally here. The leaves are changing, the weather is cooling down, and there are so many pumpkin and apple flavored foods available I don't even know what to do with myself! Fall also marks a time for pumpkin patches and hay rides. Since I have never experienced Fall with a toddler before, I thought I'd start checking out the local farms and see what they have to offer. This farm, Jakers Jack-O-Lanterns, was first on my list.

Jakers is located in Springville, UT, right off of the 400 S. exit so it was super easy to find (a definite plus when it comes to farms). I took Sam there and he got to have a play date with his friend Charlie while my friend Stephanie and I hung out.

They had several fun things available at Jakers, and did I mention it was all free?


Sam LOVED seeing the "mamals" (animals). He snorted at the pigs and squawked at the turkeys. I showed him that you could pet them, but he wasn't into that. They had turkeys, pigs (one huge mama pig, and several baby ones), llamas (alpacas?), and goats. 


Next, we checked out the kids' maze. It was pretty cool for our little guys, but Stephanie and I both agreed that any kid over the age of 3 or 4 would think the maze was too easy. Sam and Charlie had fun, though, and got lost a couple of times. 


They also had a huge corn pit! This was definitely one of the highlights for the boys. The corn easily came up to their knees if they burrowed into it. Sam loved throwing the kernels. The spent a good 15-20 minutes playing in this spot and Stephanie and I got to sit on the bench and have some mom time while they played. (You can only imagine how much hay and corn I found in Sam's diaper when we got home. ;)



The next favorite attraction was these tube slides! One is at a steeper angle than the other one, so the boys could go down at different speeds. They loved climbing up the hay in the middle and falling into the corn at the bottom. We spent another 30- 45 minutes in this spot.  

Underneath this slide area is a little "haunted house" that we convinced our boys to walk through. It was very simple, with some fake snakes, bats, and ghosts. They were scared of a motion-activated ghost that made haunting noises when you walked by, but they got through it. :)

Next to the slide area is a huge pyramid of hay. The boys couldn't help themselves and had to climb all the way to the top. Stephanie braved the heights and helped them climb onto the top hay bushel. 


Our visit to Jakers Jack-O-Lanterns was a complete success! Sam had a blast. He was looking through the pictures from our adventure with me today and kept pointing at them saying, "Again?! Again?!" We'll definitely be going back. 

I loved that they provided all of that for free! Because Sam had so much fun, we decided to buy a pumpkin from them. We got a medium sized pumpkin and it was only $2 (about half the price of Walmart or our local grocery store). I never carry cash, but they were able to take my card which was awesome. 

They also have a corn maze set up this year, though it looked like they were still working on getting it going, so maybe wait a week or so for that. The corn maze is $3 per person (I assume small children would be free.) 

The hours are also appealing. Several of the local farms are only open in the evening during the week, but this farm opens at 10 and stays open all day. 

Check out their website for more info:
http://harwardfarms.com/jakers/




No comments:

Post a Comment